Prep time 10 – 15 mins
Cooking time – 20 mins
I first made this at school and I still love it! The celery is a surprise ingredient but it really adds a lovely flavour and texture.
Its very easy to make vegetarian, or vegan – depending on your choice of sausage and accompaniments.
- 1 pack of your favourite sausages
- 1 tin of baked beans
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 3 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 courgette
- Mushrooms (8 ish)
- a drop of oil or frylight
You can of course, use whatever vegetables you like, but I tend to avoid root veg as it takes too long to cook.
1. snip sausages into small pieces, approx. 2cm in length. Using a medium size saucepan, add the oil and heat gently, adding the sausage pieces. Allow each sausage piece to brown evenly – once you have added the other ingredients, the sausages won’t brown any more – but will cook through.
2. whilst the sausages brown, chop the other veg into evenly sized pieces (2cm approx. – it really doesn’t matter), but keep stirring the sausages!
3. add the baked beans, tomato puree & vegetable stock cube. Fill the empty bean tin with water and add to the pan. Bring to a low simmer.
4. add the vegetables and allow to simmer for around 15 mins (until the veg feels tender)- stirring regularly.
5 serve with cheesey mash or mash with chives.